About Greentown Glass
Greentown Glass was produced in Greentown, Indiana by the Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Company, which operated from 1894 to 1903. After the company’s incorporation in 1894, glass production grew rapidly and the factory was enlarged in 1897 and further additions were made in 1898.
When glass production began in 1894, the Indiana Tumbler & Goblet Company pressed crystal glass. However, withing a few years, the factory was producing an array of transparent colors, including amber, teal blue, canary, emerald green, and cobalt blue. In addition, opaque colors such as white, brown, and green were being produced.
Due to changes in the glass industry, the Indiana Tumbler & Goblet Company was absorbed into the National Glass Company, a combine which included glass tableware factories in Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, and Indiana.
Around noon on June 13, 1903, the factory caught fire. The Greentown Fire Department’s fire fighting equipment was unfortunately not equipped to handly a fire of that magnitude and the factory was destroyed. The residents of Greentown made attempts to reopen the factory, but due to financial constraints on the National Glass Company and environmental factors with the location of the factory, it was never rebuilt.